Does tor relaying work without onion running

tor_ml tor_ml at ymail.com
Mon Sep 6 10:45:15 UTC 2010

On 09/06/2010 12:00 PM, arygroup at gmail.com wrote:
> I ran onion from root and configured it for relaying. It was ok, there
> was an onion icon in system tray. Then I rebooted. Onion is not loaded,
> I wonder if I have to run it manually for tor relaying each time (or set
> autostart somehow, I'm newbie with linux), or that configuration I did
> before via onion is enough.

If it is a server withouth X I would simply install tor and make sure it
gets started at boot time. via /etc/rcX.d/

But I suppose you are speaking of a single user desktop environment
using Tor+Polipo+Vidalia (systray icon you mentioned).
In this case you might start vidalia automatically after you login.

You can tell Vidalia to start tor and polipo.