SpamCop and Webmail Spam via tor

Peter Guhl p-guhl at p-guhl.ch
Wed Oct 27 19:55:55 UTC 2010

Am 27.10.10 17:37, schrieb Moritz Bartl:
> Am 27.10.2010 17:01, schrieb Peter Guhl:
>> person accessing the webmail is not likely to be transmitted in the mail
>> headers. There's only the host where the webmail is running at.
>
> At least for the reports we're getting at torservers, this is exactly
> the case. Most webmail providers I know include the sender IP in their
> headers.

Jikes... that's sort of strange. Hadn't expected that. Technically I
consinder that wrong since the MUA (the thing using SMTP) isn't running
at the user's machine and, even more, definitely not at the router next
to the server running the webmail. At the other and the webmail
providers may be right since the machine really transmitting the message
*is* the user's computer. Even though the first hop is made using HTTP
instead of SMTP. It's probably their strategy to automatically direct
complaints to the next level.

But it's good to know. Before I thought webmail was a bit anonymous.

Regards
     Peter

--
Peter Guhl           http://www.p-guhl.ch