AW: SpamCop and Webmail Spam via tor

Peter Guhl p-guhl at p-guhl.ch
Wed Oct 27 15:01:54 UTC 2010

Von: owner-tor-relays at torproject.org
[mailto:owner-tor-relays at torproject.org] Im Auftrag von Andrew Lewis
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 27. Oktober 2010 16:38

> This is mainly directed at Moritz, but how does everyone handle SpamCop
> notices complaining about tor exit nodes sending spam via webmail?

Uhm, I don't really get it. How can a tor exit node send spam via webmail?
Is there a webmail installed at the computer which is also a tor node? Or
do you talk about a webmail which is connected through the world using tor?
No, that doesn't make sense. Is it somebody accessing a webmail through tor
and then sends spam that way? Again doesn't make sense since the IP of the
person accessing the webmail is not likely to be transmitted in the mail
headers. There's only the host where the webmail is running at.

AFAIK (that's not too much...) spamcop is automatically parsing mail
headers and sending complaints to nearly everything it finds in there.
The last (and only) time I had to deal with them it was a case where
we knew that particular customer doesn't care too much about where he
gets addresses from and we could send him the stuff over together with
a warning that he should really be a bit more careful. We explained the
stuff in the form spamcop had set up and never heard from them again.
No idea if somebody ever read our explanation, if they care at all etc.
But at least I got the impression that it might be possible to really
do something (unlike others where you can only wait, hope or pay money).

Regards
      Peter