Read/Write balance in torstatus graphs

Karsten Loesing karsten.loesing at gmx.net
Thu Oct 14 05:52:50 UTC 2010

On 10/13/10 10:18 PM, Geoff Down wrote:
> when I'm operating a middleman relay and not using Tor as a client,
> shouldn't the Read and Write graphs as produced by
> torstatus.blutmagie.de be the same? I have about 17000 Bytes/s Reads
> when Writes have dropped to zero.

Interesting. Here's a thought: There are a few cases when relays put
wrong dates in their {write,read}-history lines. It could be that your
relay got the write-history line wrong and Tor Status doesn't display
that data because the date is wrong. See
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1926 . Can you look up
your relay descriptor at
https://metrics.torproject.org/relay-search.html and see if this is the
case?

Typically, relays write a few more bytes than they read, most likely
because they're answering directory requests. See the last graph on
https://metrics.torproject.org/network.html .

Best,
--Karsten