Fwd: Abuse Message

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 20:42:59 UTC 2010

>  > Btw: we offer a tor partnership program to help German tor exit admins.
>  > See: https://www.privacyfoundation.de/verein/themen/
>
>  Also one thing to consider is forming a limited liability entity to
>  protect you from lawsuits, esp if you are a resident of the US where
>  everyone is lawsuit happy.
>
>  In the US, the cost of setting up an LLC with good privacy protections
>  is between $100-$1000/yr, depending upon the state and the services
>  you contract from independent providers (such as preparing and filing
>  the paperwork for you, and phone+mail forwarding). States that have
>  laws that make this process easy are Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming,
>  Montana, and to a lesser extent Delaware.

I believe Ohio is one of the states that now allows P.O. Boxes to be
used for LLC registration, namely for the statutory agent. You'd have
to check their forms or some current filings. That could save you
some rental forwarding. Helps keep wierdos from visiting you and
your mail secure too. You could possibly send it to your personal
box to save more if you have one and don't mind mixing biz in it.

It would be nice for a maintained list of known service providers by
state/city: lawyers, incorporators, phone/mail forwarding, boxes,
virtual office.

>  It is legal for non-US citizens to form LLCs, which should give you

And which anon friendly foreign lands allow US persons to set up corps?

>  I've been pondering adding this information to that blog post, but I'm

Add it on a wiki page or something. People often don't realize just how
inexpensive and simple LLC's are and how much they can save your
hide in civil affairs. Get sued, wash rinse repeat. There are still a couple
areas to watch out for: 1) Extension of personal credit backing to the
biz. Void if you're just funding it with cash. 2) Becoming known in biz
as a suit/fail/debt magnet or just being in a given line of biz period. You'll
still appear as the CEO/Pres as desired, need be, or as required, so it's
more of an inter personal/corp/legal/face management thing.

You can do it all yourself for a couple hundred one time. And if you
really want to be off the books in name, in addition to taking care
of the statutory agent, look around for a lawyer who will act as your
incorporating/secretarial agent (their name/corp/sig on the forms)
for a few bucks more. It's all legal and common, you can find those
that do it by looking through the filings of local biz in your area.

Your local small biz SCORE people will help field biz questions/advice
for free, though you may have to fill out a federal form that's more
detailed than just an LLC filing as I think that's how SCORE gets some
funds to operate.

EFF may be able to contribute some basic info to the page so readers
can take that back as talking points to their own local lawyers.

>  not sure exactly how necessary it really is, and I didn't want to
>  scare people off, as so far there have been no court cases against

Rest assured, there will be someday.

>  operators in the US. Also, if you don't have sufficient personal
>  assets to make it worthwhile to sue you, it doesn't really matter.

Similarly, a judgement against you lasts until paid, or they forget/quit,
or 7yr credit report, etc. In such time, you may develop significant
income that you'd rather like to keep.

I would suspect it much harder to claim common carrier and to give
an exit node (and you) the protection needed without an LLC, separate
hardware, LAN, and at least a corner of your spare room, if not a colo,
dedicated to it. Think separation of church and state, both sides tidy...