How to Run High Capacity Tor Relays

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 02:42:27 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Mike Perry <mikeperry at fscked.org> wrote:
> Does this mean that we can only use these cards on ancient
> RHEL5/CentOS5 2.6.18 kernels?

at the moment, yes.

> If so, what about RHEL6? Will new drivers be released? Or do they
> require another Oracle bribe to obtain?

i have no idea. another oracle bribe would likely be required,
although DNSSEC and work in OpenDNSSEC, other projects is making these
cards attractive. these groups are likely to be useful sources for
drivers and code, having sponsors who offer up the oracle payola.

these are all legitimate concerns; perhaps relegating this to the
category of experiment without operational readiness or
recommendation.

i am keen to see a node breach the gigabit barrier. without
significant rework of Tor for better threading support accelerating
the public and symmetric crypto parts seems the most promising path.

i'll follow up with any news on sources and drivers, although i'm not
anticipating success given past experience...