(FWD) Sync system time with Tor network?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri May 14 03:48:15 UTC 2010

[Forwarding since Jim isn't subscribed at this address. I believe
the current answer is "install ntpd; Tor doesn't know how to fake
its own ntpd yet" -RD]

----- Forwarded message from owner-tor-relays at torproject.org -----

Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 18:21:08 -0400
Subject: Sync system time with Tor network?
From: Jim Smyth <jimsmyth at gmail.com>
To: tor-relays at torproject.org

I have a system that I want to setup as a pure Tor relay, nothing else
running, so I setup iptables to allow only talk on port 9001. Now,
this system has serious problems with time drifting and once the clock
is off enough, it has problems talking to Tor (the log is filled with
messages telling how far off the clock is off with the concensus).
Seeing as how my client can get the consensus (as implied by the log
messages), would it at all be possible to set my system to have Tor
define the time? Since only Tor will be running, the system clock
doesn't matter at all except for in so far as it routes messages
through Tor. I suppose I could setup ntp and open up more ports for
it, but I'd rather keep it running only Tor.

Thanks for any ideas you have!
- Jim

----- End forwarded message -----