Bandwidth Manipulation...

Phil White phil at itmagic.co.uk
Fri May 28 12:19:06 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I am in the process of setting up a TOR bridge - therefore am likely to be posting a few queries here. I hope you will all bear with me...

Issue one:
I need to regulate my data flow. Currently, the daemon is set up to provide unlimited use of the pipe it is given. However, I need to restrict this - but on a *time* basis.
Between 00:00 and 06:00, I have unmetered access, and am quite happy for it to bimble away for the benefit of whoever. After all, I'm not using the line usually (though I will probably throttle the connection to between 50-75% of maximum).
However, during 'peak' hours, I have a very restrictive metered quota - and I'm not happy for TOR to use much of this.

Therefore, the question is how best to achieve this?

a) Two separate daemons
b) iptables - either port closure, or by throttling the connection.
c) have a script to switch between two versions of torrc, run by cron, and issue a SIGHUP
d) other...?

Obviously, each approach has it's potential problems. What I am most confused about is what happens at the point of switching. How will this affect the users/network/system load of my TOR daemon?

Any advice or pointers?

best regards,
Phil.