Nuked my keyfiles

andrew at torproject.org andrew at torproject.org
Mon May 24 00:24:50 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 11:40:40AM +0200, tor at wiredwings.com wrote 0.6K bytes in 15 lines about:
> I consider this a "bug". Uninstall should leave your keyfiles behind
> unless the user explicitly confirms it.

This is not a bug from my perspective.  You asked Tor to remove itself,
it does.   The vast majority of users want Tor completely purged from a
system so as to leave no obvious trace against forensic analysis.  We
remove the bits we can remove.  Windows registry has many things in it
relating to a previously installed Tor, as well as the prefetch
directory, etc.  Most of this is MS meta-data about the install, but
exists nonetheless.

Relay operators using Windows generally know what they're doing, and
as the OP found, the options to not nuke bits are available.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project

Website: https://www.torproject.org/