tor relays and network status pages

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun May 23 21:02:09 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 01:09:30PM -0400, Michael Gomboc wrote:
> *>i compared http://torstatus.kgprog.com/  and
> >http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/ <http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/> and while
> kgprog shows both our relays
> >with a bandwith around "72" while blutmagie shows "0".
> *
> kgprog.com is showing me all the time the double of the bandwidth that
> blutmagie.de does.
> For example now my average bandwidth at blutmagie is 77kb/s and at kgprog
> 156kb/s.
>
> But if I understand that right then blumagie shows the routing bandwidth and
> kgprog shows the total bandwidth
> given to TOR, so incoming plus outgoing.
>
> Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong!

No, blutmagie is showing you the actual average bytes per second that
your relay is handling. Whereas kgprog is showing you the number that's
advertised in the consensus for you, which is what clients use to decide
which paths to build.

See also
http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/May-2010/msg00081.html

--Roger