Nuked my keyfiles

Aplin, Justin M jmaplin at ufl.edu
Sun May 23 08:36:52 UTC 2010

On 5/23/2010 4:29 AM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 04:21:53AM -0400, Aplin, Justin M wrote:
>
>> I recently uninstalled the 0.2.1.25-0.2.7 package from my Windows
>> machine using the built-in uninstall utility and upgraded to the latest
>> alpha build (I've had issues installing one version on top of the other
>> before) and I totally forgot to look and see whether the uninstall
>> utility planned on nuking my Data Directory (it did).
>>
> Hm. I wonder if that's a bug. If you apt-get remove tor on debian,
> it leaves your key files behind, right? Or I wonder if *that*'s a bug,
> since leaving private keys sitting about isn't so good either.

It was my fault. In the Windows uninstall utility, you get asked which
components you want to remove. If you expand "Tor" and "Vidalia",
there's a separate checkbox under each for "Application Data", which
removes the Tor and Vidalia directories from %homepath%\Application
Data, respectively. I didn't expand these options in my hasty uninstall,
not thinking about my keyfiles, and they're checked by default for a
"complete" uninstall. Oops.
>> Of course, I never
>> made a backup of my keyfiles (bad japlin!), so I'm now operating with
>> new keys and new fingerprints. Besides changing the myfamily option on
>> my other relays to reflect the current fingerprint, what should I do at
>> this point? I remember when I first set up my relays, the documentation
>> recommended sending an email in a specific format to tor-ops, but I
>> can't find anything about it anymore. Is this no longer necessary? Am I
>> good just sitting tight?
>>
> You're fine. We abandoned the whole "mail your fingerprint in" thing
> years ago.
>
> Thanks!
> --Roger
Good to know. Updating my other relays now =)

~japlin