Nuked my keyfiles

Aplin, Justin M jmaplin at ufl.edu
Sun May 23 08:21:53 UTC 2010

I recently uninstalled the 0.2.1.25-0.2.7 package from my Windows
machine using the built-in uninstall utility and upgraded to the latest
alpha build (I've had issues installing one version on top of the other
before) and I totally forgot to look and see whether the uninstall
utility planned on nuking my Data Directory (it did). Of course, I never
made a backup of my keyfiles (bad japlin!), so I'm now operating with
new keys and new fingerprints. Besides changing the myfamily option on
my other relays to reflect the current fingerprint, what should I do at
this point? I remember when I first set up my relays, the documentation
recommended sending an email in a specific format to tor-ops, but I
can't find anything about it anymore. Is this no longer necessary? Am I
good just sitting tight?

As a side note, thank you to whoever removed Vidalia's tendency to rape
the torrc with comments, everything is so much more readable now.

~japlin