Exit Relay on Ubuntu 9.10 behind 2wire 2701HG-B firewall

K. N. fizyxnrd at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 01:58:41 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm trying to configure an Ubuntu 9.10 exit relay for Tor using Vidalia.
I'm on bellsouth/at&t networks, and I have successfully installed vidalia
and tor.
I've pointed tor to a user writable rc file rather than the root torrc
(~/.vidalia/torrc).
Everything gets up and running, but the relay (OR on 9000 and DIR on 9001)
is unable to verify that its ports are reachable
(Your server has not managed to confirm that its [ORPort/DirPort] is
reachable.
Please check your firewalls, ports, address, /etc/hosts file, etc.)
I have specifically opened ports 9000-9001 on my router (a 2wire 2701HG-B).
I originally set ORPort to 443 and DirPort to 80, but this failed.  I
thought changing these to more standard values would fix this, but it has
not.
I can see the Tor network just fine.  I have not tried to actually use the
Tor network (via a client); I'm just interested in hosting right now.

Any suggestions on what I may have missed?  Ideally, I'd like to get this
working on 443 and 80, but I'd be happy with any ports at all.

Thanks,
Fizyxnrd