Unable to login to relay server when Tor is running

Markus Petersen markus at markuspetersen.dk
Fri Jan 15 19:13:49 UTC 2010

I'm sorry to say that I didn't understand everything you talked about.
Perhaps I can give some output of the various commands and you can
comment on them? This is with Tor not running. I don't have serial
terminal access, as it's a rented VPS.

moo:~# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
262144

moo:~# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
1       0       262144

moo:~# ulimit
unlimited

moo:~# ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) unlimited
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 595968
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 32
open files                      (-n) 1024
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 10240
max user processes              (-u) 595968

Furthermore, I use the shorewall package provided with Debian Lenny,
which sets up some iptables rules. AFAIK, it only sets up default policy
drop and allows the ports I've defined. I could be wrong. I'll investigate.

/Markus