Unable to login to relay server when Tor is running

Markus Petersen markus at markuspetersen.dk
Tue Jan 12 22:19:32 UTC 2010

Dear fellow Tor users,

I have a problem that I hope someone is able to help me solving. I want
to run a Tor relay (non-exit for the time being) on my VPS. The VPS has
got 1GiB of memory, plenty of bandwidth, and I've got about 5TiB of
traffic to spare each month, which I'd like to give to the Tor network.

The problem is, when the relay has been running for some time (I haven't
measured when exactly), I am unable to connect to my server. Neither ssh
nor imap-logins work anymore. I tried rate-limiting the relay to
5000kBps and then 1000kBps, with the same results. The only thing that
solves it is when I restart the server and disable Tor again.

In short: what do I do now? Has anyone got any clue as to what the
problem might be? I have a wild guess of the server not being able to
have that many TCP connections, but how do I check something like that?

Thank you!

Regards,
Markus