Tor load averages, openssl performance and misc related questions -amd64-freebsd

Olaf Selke olaf.selke at blutmagie.de
Fri Jan 1 18:37:21 UTC 2010

I wrote:
> Mike L schrieb:
>
>> I read one of the operators (blutmagie?) compiled openssl with icc and
>> they saw some performance gain but it seems icc will not install on the
>> amd64 platform.
>
> yes, I didn't succeed in compiling openssl lib using icc on Debian
> x86_64.

today in a second attempt I did.

1.) installed the icc package in user's "icc" home directory

2.) include icc bin directory bin in $PATH
export PATH=$HOME/intel/Compiler/11.1/064/bin/intel64/:$PATH

3.) avoid the "error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5" problem
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/l_cproc_p_11.1.064_intel64/pset/32e/gcc-3.2

4.) run tor configure script with optimization flags
CC=icc CFLAGS="-O3 -no-prec-div -xHost" ./configure --prefix=/
--enable-openbsd-malloc

Since tor was restarted only a few hours ago, I can't tell if cpu load
is reduced. Openssl lib isn't compiled with icc yet. Will try this, too.
Keep you posted ...

Olaf