The speed of my relay are decreasing and my rely now is out of the Tor statistics

Gitano ran6oony7r9deku5 at gmx-topmail.de
Mon Feb 15 17:27:51 UTC 2010

Scott Bennett wrote:

>> dynamic IP that changes roughly weekly, and it saw traffic fairly
>> consistently throughout the week with a slight dip for the 1-2 hours after
>> the IP changed.
>>
>      Have you tried it since the switch to consensus documents?  As I noted
> in my most recent posting to OR-TALK, a newly initialized relay does not
> appear in the next consensus document issued, but rather in the one that
> follows it.  That right there accounts for up to two hours' delay in clients
> finding out about the new relay.  Now that new consensus documents are
> usually not fetched by clients every hour anymore, but rather on a seemingly
> random interval ranging from ~30 min. to ~2 hrs. 30 min., a client might
> very well not know about a new relay for over four hours.
>      Changing the IP address causes reinitialization, including reachability
> and data rate capacity testing.  Given the right timing of the IP address
> change, the authorities' own reachability testing of relays in the directory
> might fall at a time when the address being tested had changed, but before
> the relay in question had discovered that its address had changed,
> reinitialized itself, and published its new descriptor, causing the
> authorities to decide that the relay was no longer reachable and to drop the
> relay from the next consensus.  That, in turn, would mean that clients would
> not know that a new descriptor were available and thus would not download it
> from a directory server.  It would not be surprising to me at all to find
> cases where some fraction of the client population did not know about a
> relay becoming operational at a new IP address for well over four hours.
> Given that the most recent consensus document on my system at this moment
> claims that TorDwarf's capacity is only "24", that relay will only be chosen
> once in a while for a circuit and therefore will probably show very little
> traffic for the first two or three hours after reinitialization at a new IP
> address.

Maybe there is another 'race condition' with dynamic DNS-Addresses. In
the last few months my Tor-Bridge worked perfect without any address
information in the config file. No problems with IP changes (which
occurred every night!).

For a normal node with DirPort enabled (like TorDwarf) I must enter a
public address in the config file:
###
Feb 14 15:17:15.383 [info] resolve_my_address(): Address 'picolo'
resolves to private IP address '10.0.1.2'. Tor servers that use the
default DirServers must have public IP addresses.
###

So I set up "Address bitbox.dynalias.net".

Last IP change: 2010-02-15 03:17:06

Tor log:
###
Feb 15 03:18:02.728 [notice] Your IP address seems to have changed to
87.122.140.203. Updating.
Feb 15 03:18:02.774 [info] consider_testing_reachability(): Testing
reachability of my ORPort: 87.122.140.203:9001.
Feb 15 03:19:03.613 [info] consider_testing_reachability(): Testing
reachability of my ORPort: 87.122.140.203:9001.
Feb 15 03:20:04.738 [info] consider_testing_reachability(): Testing
reachability of my ORPort: 87.122.140.203:9001.
###

What happens if 'bitbox.dynalias.net' is not updated before (or within)
this testing period of 2 minutes?