New Node

Sven Olaf Kamphuis sven at cb3rob.net
Tue Aug 24 11:47:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, mick wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 23:30:32 -0400
> Andrew Lewis <andrew at pdqvpn.com> allegedly wrote:
>>
>> The second question was more focused at other relay owners, since we
>> all seem to be having trouble with DMCA.
>>
>> I had briefly talked to some one else about it, but the proper term
>> is Provider Independent IP
>> Space<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provider-independent_address_space>.
>>

> As that wikipedia entry alludes, ISPs tend not to like this approach.
> I used to manage a set of 5 /24s (old style class C nets) which were
> independently owned. Moving them between ISPs blows holes in
> contiguous address space routing - this tend to make the ISPs unhappy
> because of the additional management overhead.

eh say what?

while this would be an issue if you take provider-allocated (also PA)
space "somewhere else", this definately is not the case with PI space, as
those are completely seperate from the address space "owned" by the
provider, and furthermore, they should not have put other customers in it
anyway, as PI space "owned" by the customer. (therefore there are no
"gaps" in the address space as the entire chunk moves wherever the
customer goes and the ISP should have no reason to split it up as it's
just that single customer anyway)

nope, the only reason for -some- old jerks to have problems with this is
that they run their routing on dusty old cisco shit with just a few
megabytes of ram, therefore, it won't fit if a lot of people start to
announce a lot of smaller networks, but actually, that's just their
problem... (all our routers have 4-128GB of ram, fuck it ;)
upgrades people upgrades..

the thing that DOES NOT make ISPs (or rather: LIRs) happy tho
is the pile of paperwork to fill out to register NEW PI space for
customers, as that's a pain in the butt

if the customer ALREADY HAS PI SPACE, we don't care and simply will
announce it for the customer, no questions asked.

and one again, if your isp still considers the 'size of the routing table'
an issue, its time you find yourself an isp that does not run on routers
they bought in 1993 ;)

let's just put it this way: some people are running their network on stuff
that has less memory and less packets per second throughput than my GSM,
and still think their arguements for not routing smaller networks,
including the ones smaller than a /24, will be taken serious by the rest
of the internet... :P