dmca takedown, was: Recommended VPS ISPs?

Aaron Hopkins lists at die.net
Tue Aug 10 06:04:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, Moritz Bartl wrote:

> Why don't you all suggest the most obvious solution? Get a list started on
> the Wiki about countries in which these companies are not (yet) active. This
> includes all European countries, and AFAIK especially Holland, Sweden and
> Norway are a good bet, because they don't allow this hunt on private
> filesharers.

I tried not allowing exit connections to IPs assigned by ARIN, which mostly
covers North and South America.  This was fairly easy to express in
ExitPolicy, but it didn't seem to help much at reducing DMCA complaints.

It was at this point that I started wondering if the connections that
mattered were the ones to the bittorrent trackers, which are mostly HTTP
POSTs to port 80.  It was blocking the common public tracker IPs in
ExitPolicy that helped me with the complaints.

I'd love for someone else to try this and share the results.  I used
http://www.trackon.org/api/live as the basis for a list of public trackers,
but there are many other similar lists available.

                                     -- Aaron