Tor client performance (was Re: URGENT: patch needed ASAP for authority bug)

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Apr 23 18:28:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 08:21:15PM +0200, Olaf Selke wrote:
> Roger Dingledine schrieb:
> >
> > Take a look at
> > http://metrics.torproject.org/torperf-graphs.html
>
> how can one explain the leap in latency two weeks ago?

That one's easy. We tried turning on the new "CircPriorityHalflifeMsec"
feature, which gives priority to cells from circuits that haven't sent
much lately. But there was a bug in parsing it from the consensus, which
caused relays to pick totally the wrong cells, starve some circuits, etc.
Bad news. So a week or so later we fixed the bug, and turned off the
feature.

The question I can't answer is "how can one explain the continued horrible
latency even after you turned circpriorityhalflifemsec off?"

(Because I can't answer this question, it's possible my above answer to
the other question is wrong too.)

--Roger