What am I doing wrong? - if anything

Sven Olaf Kamphuis sven at cb3rob.net
Thu Apr 8 12:19:13 UTC 2010

those dmca crap notices are nothing but spam under eu regulations and
should be treated as such, maybe even prosecuted.

firms like mediasentry, websherrif, ruprotect, ipr-global, kmwlaw and
wwecorp spam in an automated fashion, some even employ callcenters in
india to bug people with their crap.

maybe they have not noticed, but this here is "europe" and here sending
unsollicated commercial email happens to be illegal, more illegal than 3rd
parties possibly distributing something they may or may not have a license
for over our networks. and yes, them trying to "fix" their business model
by attempting to keep control over information they already made public
(which part of "to publicize' didn't they get) by means of bugging other
people (carriers) afterwards is both "bulk" "commercial" "unsollicited"
and "email" :P.

we, as a carrier, are severly considering steps against such firms to
recoup our losses in wasted manhours.

if they claim something is illegal, they can go to court or to the police,
not try to make other people waste their time on it.

my time is worth more than the
picture-of-a-spilder-they-value-at-10-kazillion-dollars.

besides, you -could- just limit your tor exit to the "common ports"
(http/https/telnet/ssh/etc) whcih would limit the number of people let's
say, seeding torrents over it, which is what we did, not to stop the
abusemail, as seing that we route the piratebay, i already wipe my ass
with those, but to prevent people from wasting tor network capacity on
something that in itself isn't anonymous anyway (torrent clients include
their own ip in the protocol anyway).

there is ofcourse a pretty good chance that it is the mpaa/riaa members
themselves again, abusing network capacity to promote their own shit, as
who in his right mind would seed torrents over tor anyway.

as for the forementioned companies, they don't even get replies anymore
anyway, we have explained the concept of 'tor' to them once, and that
should be it, with any further questions they are free to try to explain
to a court why their customers refrain from keeping control over something
they clearly want to keep control over, and then try to make others fix
that problem for them, we are not here to clean up their messy business
model for them.

if they want people to watch their crap only with their approval, they are
free to design dedicated propriatory hardware or whatever, but first
makign something public and then complaining that it now is public and
that carriers should fix the problem for them isn't gonna fly.

how about we simply buy their shares and shut them down, would be a good
thing if the internet would unite against these idiots.
(disney and paramount first please ;)

<penpen> C3P0, der elektrische Westerwelle