Tor client performance (was Re: URGENT: patch needed ASAP for authority bug)

Olaf Selke olaf.selke at blutmagie.de
Tue Apr 20 13:56:48 UTC 2010

Roger Dingledine wrote:

> Well, the problem central to this thread is "Lately, certain relays are
> receiving way more *connections* than they can handle, and it's not
> only the relays at the very top of the bandwidth charts." So I think
> it's very relevant.

yep! Sorry to bother you again with this number-of-connection issue. Tor
on my network status machine is a non exit relay with a rather
restrictive bandwidth policy of "BandwidthRate 50 KB" and
"BandwidthBurst 100 KB". Even this tiny middleman relay holds 10000+ tcp
connections. Probably this number of connections will kill most routers
used in residential environment.

Even the paper describing a method for priorization of interactive
circuits
http://www.cacr.math.uwaterloo.ca/techreports/2010/cacr2010-06.pdf gives
me no clue why the number of tcp connections is growing.

regards Olaf