problem with OutboundBindAddress

Skip Duckwall exorcyst at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 02:38:07 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm the operator of tor.exploits.com and I've discovered a problem and
I'm not sure if I'm understanding what's happening or what, so please
forgive me if this is a simple misunderstanding of a configuration
option :-)

I've got a colocated box out in the cloud somewhere that among other
things I have set up as a tor exit node.  I've got several bound IP
addresses to the machine and I wanted all tor related traffic to go
in/out 208.43.127.247 (tor.exploits.com) so that I can run a web
virtual host on that name as well explaining that it's a tor exit
node, blah blah blah.

However, after a recent abuse complaint that I received from the
hosting company (they're ok with the tor exit node, I've had that
problem before, the last time was in 2009, which had the correct IP)
the IP address of the complaint was the main IP for the box and not
208.43.127.247.  I've upgraded a few times (most recently tonite) to
the most recent versions and after doing a little packet sniffing, etc
it looks like tor starts out using the IP address I want it to then
reverts to the main IP with a message in the debug log that says
"[debug] router_new_address_suggestion(): Got X-Your-Address-Is: <main
IP here>".

This isn't exactly the desired behavior :-)

Under what circumstances does the tor server punt on the IP given in
the torrc and switch?  It looks like all 9001 traffic comes in on
208.43.127.247, but all the output traffic is on the wrong IP.  Is
there a way to not have it fall back to the main IP of the box?

Skip