Tor client performance (was Re: URGENT: patch needed ASAP for authority bug)

Mike Perry mikeperry at fscked.org
Sat Apr 17 23:26:10 UTC 2010

Thus spake Olaf Selke (olaf.selke at blutmagie.de):

> > So my question is: Why isn't bandwidthrate sufficient for these
> > relays? It more directly throttles the load, AND the bandwidth
> > authorities will actually measure you as having a lower capacity if
> > you set this value lower than your connection capacity.
>
> in the last weeks bandwidthrate gave only few control about the number
> of connections. To check this I've just reduced BandwidthRate from 16000
> to 1000 KB. Let's wait one or two days and see if connections and
> connection rate considerably drops. We'll see...

As fate would have it, we lost 2/4 bandwidth authorites right around
when you started this experiment. I've had the bandwidth value of 1M
for blutmagie in the consensus for the past 4-6 hours or so.

You should see the results of this change already on blutmaggie,
unless the source of the load is due to either clients older than
0.2.1.x, or some other form of non-standard tor client or DoS attack.

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist