Tor client performance (was Re: URGENT: patch needed ASAP for authority bug)

Olaf Selke olaf.selke at blutmagie.de
Sat Apr 17 11:10:20 UTC 2010

Mike Perry schrieb:
> Thus spake Roger Dingledine (arma at mit.edu):
>>
>> Is my "putting an extra line in the descriptor" solution good enough? It's
>> certainly a start. I'd love to hear a better idea though -- especially
>> if it's either as easy to implement, or if not, comes with design and
>> implementation help. :)
>
> I think this is a bad idea, mostly for the reasons you specify above.
> I feel like capping this advertised value is giving relay operators
> access to a control they understand even less now than we assumed
> they might before.

from the emotional point of view I feel better being in command of my
router than some central authority which neither fully understand all
implication of their doing.

> So my question is: Why isn't bandwidthrate sufficient for these
> relays? It more directly throttles the load, AND the bandwidth
> authorities will actually measure you as having a lower capacity if
> you set this value lower than your connection capacity.

in the last weeks bandwidthrate gave only few control about the number
of connections. To check this I've just reduced BandwidthRate from 16000
to 1000 KB. Let's wait one or two days and see if connections and
connection rate considerably drops. We'll see...

regards Olaf