descriptor published, but router missing from consensus

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Fri Apr 9 22:53:15 UTC 2010

     On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 00:26:39 +0200 Sebastian Hahn <mail at sebastianhahn.net>
wrote:
>On Apr 9, 2010, at 11:44 PM, Scott Bennett wrote:
>>     Do you know whether anyone else has tor working properly with
>> openssl 1.0.0 ?  I'm considering downgrading it back to 0.9.8n as a
>> test to begin eliminating different possible sources of trouble.
>> (That
>> is what was working before.)  However, it is a bit of a nuisance to do
>> that, so I'd rather not do it if it's clear that the openssl version
>> isn't the source of my troubles.
>
>Hey Scott,
>
>I'm afraid the answer is "we don't know yet". It might well be related
>openssl 1.0.0, but we did some testing with the beta versions before
>and it seemed to work; afaik. Getting your results with a downgraded

     That's what I thought I had read somewhere, perhaps on OR-TALK.

>openssl is certainly a useful data point, but if it is a lot of
>nontrivial

     I don't actually know how much work it is because I've never tried
it.  There is now a tool called "ports-mgmt/portdowngrade" in the ports
tree that I'll need to install first to do the job.  That *shouldn't* be
a problem, but...weeelllll...the ports subsystem is definitely the weakest
link in FreeBSD, so you take your chances every time you need to install
something from ports or packages, and you hope for the best.
     In the meantime, though, perhaps others who have already tried tor
with openssl 1.0.0 on their systems could chime in here with their results.

>work, we might be able to figure it out otherwise.

     Okay.  Please keep me posted.  Meanwhile, MYCROFTsOtherChild has
been up and running for about 15 hours with no sign of having relayed
a single cell of data.  I'll leave it up in case anyone on the development
team has a way to try connecting to it and monitoring what happens in
the handshaking.  I, OTOH, have been up for about 25 or 26 hours--long
story--and am not about to tackle downgrading openssl until I've had
quite a bit of sleep.  Maybe tomorrow.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG