Google cache blocking non-exit relays?

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Tue Apr 27 06:46:42 UTC 2010

     On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 21:13:00 -0400 downie - <downgeoff2 at hotmail.com>
wrote:
>> Date: Mon=2C 26 Apr 2010 18:41:58 -0600
>> To: tor-relays at torproject.org
>> From: rdump at river.com
>> Subject: Re: Google cache blocking non-exit relays?
>>=20
>> At 14:41 -0400 on 2010-04-26=2C downie - wrote:
>> > Hi=2C
>> > has anyone else running a non-exit relay had trouble accessing Google's
>> > cache today? I have a 'your network is making automated queries' block =
>-
>> > curiously only when clicking through from google.com=2C not from google=
>.de
>> > or google.fr .
>> > GD
>>=20
>> I've seen this twice within the last year when searching Google from a
>> browser on a system running a middleman relay.
>>=20
>> FWIW=2C the two instances correlated loosely in time (within days) with
>> external warnings.  The first was a "helpful" notice from one of those
>> somewhat shady security scan companies intended to sell their external
>> scanning services by giving us an alarming warning about a tor node
>> existing on our network.
>>=20
>> Shortly after (modulo the standard agency "slow glass" delay)=2C we were
>> contacted by a law enforcement agency about the tor node.  We asked them =
>> de-prioritize whatever source of information led them to send the warning=
>=2C
>> as the source was clearly noisy/bad (the relay was a long-time node=2C no=
>t a
>> new instance=2C and the relay's exit policy was middleman only).  They
>> understandably did not answer queries about their source.
>>=20
>> Contacts at Google have not been able to (or allowed to) shed any light o=
>> where they're getting the false details about "automated queries"=2C thou=
>gh
>> my suspicion is naive and incorrect use of tor node lists.  Sadly for the=
>m=2C
>> their captcha for searching anyway from such a system is also broken=2C s=
>o we
>> just switch to Bing.
>>=20
>>=20
>> Richard
>
>Thank you for the illuminating answer. I should have mentioned that I am on=
> a domestic dynamic IP=2C so I may be getting flak for someone else's misde=
>eds - and someone else may be getting flak for my misperceived ones.

     Any tor user foolish enough to use google, even through tor, simply
deserves whatever abuse or obstacles he/she runs into.  Switch to a privacy-
respecting search engine like www.ixquick.com, and forget crooked, privacy-
invasive companies like google.  There is really no legitimate reason for
anyone to complain about their troubles with google on a tor mailing list,
of all places.  Get with the program.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG