Google cache blocking non-exit relays?

downie - downgeoff2 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 27 01:22:15 UTC 2010

From: downgeoff2 at hotmail.com
To: tor-relays at torproject.org
Subject: RE: Google cache blocking non-exit relays?
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 21:13:00 -0400

> Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:41:58 -0600
> To: tor-relays at torproject.org
> From: rdump at river.com
> Subject: Re: Google cache blocking non-exit relays?
>
> At 14:41 -0400 on 2010-04-26, downie - wrote:
> > Hi,
> > has anyone else running a non-exit relay had trouble accessing Google's
> > cache today? I have a 'your network is making automated queries' block -
> > curiously only when clicking through from google.com, not from google.de
> > or google.fr .
> > GD
>
> I've seen this twice within the last year when searching Google from a
> browser on a system running a middleman relay.
>
> FWIW, the two instances correlated loosely in time (within days) with
> external warnings.  The first was a "helpful" notice from one of those
> somewhat shady security scan companies intended to sell their external
> scanning services by giving us an alarming warning about a tor node
> existing on our network.
>
> Shortly after (modulo the standard agency "slow glass" delay), we were
> contacted by a law enforcement agency about the tor node.  We asked them to
> de-prioritize whatever source of information led them to send the warning,
> as the source was clearly noisy/bad (the relay was a long-time node, not a
> new instance, and the relay's exit policy was middleman only).  They
> understandably did not answer queries about their source.
>
> Contacts at Google have not been able to (or allowed to) shed any light on
> where they're getting the false details about "automated queries", though
> my suspicion is naive and incorrect use of tor node lists.  Sadly for them,
> their captcha for searching anyway from such a system is also broken, so we
> just switch to Bing.
>

> Richard

Thank you for the illuminating answer. I should have mentioned that I am on a domestic dynamic IP, so I may be getting flak for someone else's misdeeds - and someone else may be getting flak for my misperceived ones.
GD

PS or it could be because I am blocking certain Google cookies......and nothing to do with my 'network' at all.