List archives

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 04:51:28 UTC 2009

>  Whoops. I had set up all the archiving part except subscribing the
>  archiver address to the list. Hopefully fixed now. :) Thanks.

Cool. They're showing up there. Minus maybe ten posts
that people could resend if they want. It's a good start to
this list.

[woefully offtopic below]

>  I'm torn about this one. On the one hand, it's more useful to people than

Yep. Maybe I just like mutt/maildir/perl and hate all the web2.0
stuff. Search/sort/cut/paste/etc is sooo much easier the old way.

>  archives strip out email addresses, which results in far fewer angry

I'm sure perl, etc could do this to a maildir or mbox, pre/post delivery.

>  people mailing me asking why I'm feeding spammers their address.

My reply to those people is that spammers are subscribed to thousands
of lists with human looking addresses. The user posts and, bing, they're
now known and harvested. Not to mention all the other lovely ways a
user's address gets outed over time. Including their infected machine, friends,
and online third party list archives. So there's really no point in
admins protecting, via any method, the addresses of users who post...
admin has no control, the user chose to post knowing this, and the
source of the leak can't
be proven.

List admins have two responsibilities in this area of public lists:
- keep the list of [silent] subscribers private
- despam the inbound mail to the list

Users should use whatever despam plugins they want, because eventually
they're going to need them anyways.

My words, not torproject's :)