Custom Subdomains & Emails to Reduce Spam

Flamsmark flamsmark at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 00:20:35 UTC 2009

We've all read tips for running an exit node with minimal
harassment<https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tips-running-exit-node-minimal-harassment>,
but not every relay operator has the ability to set a custom RDNS entry:
most do not even own a domain name. I've set up the-onion-router.net with
the specific aim of helping out. If you run a Tor relay or exit, and would
like a more recognizable RDNS entry, a forwarding email address to protect
your mail from spam, and to have your relay appear within a domain that has
a clear explanation of Tor on the front page, I can help.
Send me an email at register at the-onion-router.net containing the following
information:
-the fingerprint of your relay, and
-whether you want a forwarding email address.
Make sure to send it from the administrative contact email for your relay.

I'll set up an A record for your relay's IP. If it has the exit flag, it
will go at <name>.exits.the-onion-router.net, otherwise, it will go at
<name>.relays.the-onion-router.net. If you want a forwarding email address,
I'll give you a random string of characters @the-onion-router.net. If you're
getting too much spam, you can just email me to have it changed. Once I
confirm your request, feel free to set your RDNS entry to fit with it.