Tor load averages, openssl performance and misc related questions -amd64-freebsd

mick mbm at rlogin.net
Wed Nov 25 21:44:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:51:58 -0500
Andrew Lewman <andrew at torproject.org> allegedly wrote:

> > I would like to be able to connect to the machine directly myself,
> > to hop onto the tor network,
> > and this seems the place to do so. What vulnerabilities does one
> > open up though by allowing anyone to connect to that?
>
> If your proxy is found by others, you'll have a lot of new friends
> using it. ;)  An alternative is to run a tor client on your local
> machine, setting up your relay IP:port as a bridge.  Then your first
> hop is into your own Tor relay.

Or, since you already run ssh on the tor node you could tunnel your
requests to the tor node over ssh - see tyranix's description of how
to do this on the wiki at
https://wiki.torproject.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/SshPortForwardedTor

I find this works well for me. (I use a different browser on my local
client system when I want to connect through tor. That browser is as
dumb as possible and uses the local ssh listener as its proxy.)

Mick

The text file for RFC 854 contains exactly 854 lines.
Do you think there is any cosmic significance in this?

Douglas E Comer - Internetworking with TCP/IP Volume 1

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc854.txt