Tor fails to build connections after FreeBSD security update

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Sun Dec 6 06:34:46 UTC 2009

     On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 23:06:09 -0500 Andrew Lewman <andrew at torproject.org>
wrote:
>On 12/05/2009 04:15 PM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
>>> Was there a general change in handling StrictEntryNodes, as this does not
>>> work in either combination ?
>>
>> Nope. I have a branch that will clean up the entrynodes / exitnodes
>> behavior, but I haven't found time lately to merge it.
>
>Further on this, there's an open bug we're working on.  The fix may be
>in roger's branch.    The bug is
>https://bugs.torproject.org/flyspray/index.php?do=details&id=1090

     Thanks for the link to the bug report.  Whil reading through the entire
discussion there, two questions occurred to me.

	1) Given current, production code in both the stable and development
	versions, if a node is listed in ExcludeNodes, but not in
	ExcludeExitNodes, can it be selected for use as an exit?  It shouldn't,
	but could it?

	2) If a node is listed in both ExcludeNodes and ExcludeExitNodes,
	what actually happens in current, production code?  Is it possible
	that the ExcludeExitNodes listing could negate the desired effect
	of the ExcludeNodes listing?

I ask basically out of ignorance of the actual, exact sequence of checks and
decisions made during the route selection process in tor.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG