Tor fails to build connections after FreeBSD security update

Hans Schnehl torvallenator at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 09:38:35 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 02:25:26AM -0600, Scott Bennett wrote:
>      On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 09:12:19 +0100 Hans Schnehl <torvallenator at gmail.com>
> > versions previous to that failed as well.
> >
> >----
> >Just to add a little more confusion ;) ...
> >A FreeBSD 8.0-RC2 box on amd64 ships with  a more recent vesion of openssl
> >in the base.
> >ico# openssl
> >OpenSSL> version
> >OpenSSL 0.9.8k 25 Mar 2009
> > I dare not to upgrade this box for obvious reasons.
>
>      If you have 8.0-RC2 currently installed on it, then why *not* upgrade to
> 8.0-STABLE or at least to 8.0-RELEASE-p{whatever} if 8.0-RC2 is failing anyway?
> Which version of OpenSSL is in the base for 8.0-RELEASE?  Has it already been
> changed in 8.0-STABLE?

 Because Tor on the unpatched 8.0-RC2 is running well. (I know... but running)
If you/someone can verify 8.0-Stable or Release IS running well with a current
Tor, I will gladly do that update.

The 7.2-stable's Tor, used only as client and now in utmost updated state,
fails AFTER the update..

BTW
After some time Tor fails completely.
This due to it's unability to fetch anything from any directory server,
I believe, and after some time it just drops  connections.
I dropped current cached-* files into the tordb, restarted Tor, which
leads to attempts to connect to nodes, directory servers and an almost
immediate loss of entries in cached-descriptors.new
...         0 Dec  6 08:40 cached-descriptors.new.

done on the very updated box.
ato# openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8e 23 Feb 2007

and done on the very updated box.
ato# openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8l 5 Nov 2009
... but with another log:
Dec 06 09:29:02.459 [info] TLS error: <syscall error while handshaking>
(errno=54: Connection reset by peer; state=SSL23_ST_CR_SRVR_HELLO_A)
Dec 06 09:29:02.459 [info] connection_tls_continue_handshake(): tls error
[connection reset]. breaking connection.

>      Curiouser and curiouser... 8-{

me too.