[tor-relays-universities] Tor exits on National Research and Education Networks (NRENs)

Anders Trier Olesen anders.trier.olesen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 20:53:54 UTC 2020

Hi All!

At dotsrc.org we are trying to run Tor exits on the Danish NREN, just
like 'Digital
Society' does in Switzerland
<https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/as:AS559>, and 'Heart for
Internetfreedom' does in the Netherlands
<https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/flag:exit%20as:1101>.

We have been running two Tor exit nodes for a couple of months, and we've
just been asked to shut them down by our ISP DeiC (AS1835) who runs the
Danish research network "Forskningsnettet". Their reasoning for banning Tor
exits is that other European universities don't expect bad traffic from
"Forskningsnettet".

We're currently working with DeiC to find a solution. We would prefer if
they could just change the abuse contact for our IP range to
tor-abuse at dotsrc.org, but they are pushing for us getting our own AS number.

Anybody with experience running a Tor exit on a NREN?
If you have a contact person at a NREN, maybe you could ask why they
decided to allow Tor exit traffic. That answer would be helpful in our
discussions with DeiC.
Are there any other organizations running Tor exits on the European NRENs
than the two we mentioned?

Thanks!

Best regards
Anders Trier Olesen