[tor-relays-universities] Research topic / justification

Ian Goldberg iang at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Oct 20 13:40:05 UTC 2016

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 02:48:52AM +0000, Alex Ristich wrote:
> I'm pursuing the idea of getting a tor exit node set up at my university,
> though in exploring it further it definitely seems the way to do it is to
> link it to some relevant research. Wondering if anyone has suggestions on
> how to go about deciding on a topic that requires relatively little
> overhead but is considered valuable enough to justify setting up an exit
> node, and one that's not running at a trivial level of, say, 512kbps.
>
> Also any ideas on how to add a bit more permanence to this? I'm around for
> the next several months, but gone after that, and would like to be able to
> pass it on to someone else to maintain if I'm to go through the effort to
> set it up.
>
> Cheers,
> Alex

The obvious direction is to get a prof (who will be around for a while)
to be interested in Tor research and to run it.  Failing that, a grad
student (who will be around for a while).  Or perhaps you have something
like a computer science club that can get a prof's blessing?
--
Ian Goldberg
Professor and University Research Chair