[tor-relays-universities] Tor on Campus

Nik nskinkel at iastate.edu
Mon Sep 22 18:25:18 UTC 2014

On 09/20/2014 03:33 PM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> Check out https://compass.torproject.org/
>
> Click on 'select only relays suitable for exit position' and then in the
> Country box put in United States and Canada. Then ask for 100 results.
> Then click submit, and scroll down, and look on the right-most column
> (Autonomous System).
>
> You can click on the link in the Fingerprint column to see some of the
> details you list above.

This is great, thank you.  Very helpful.

I suppose this:

> Part of the general problem though is that many Tor exit relay operators
> don't really want publicity about their choice

is a pretty compelling reason *not* to explicitly highlight exits run at
universities (at least not without the operator's consent).  Maybe
something opt-in would be possible?  Although it might be sort of
pointless if only a couple university people/groups wanted to publicize
that they run an exit.

> I wonder if somebody should start doing a "highlight a Tor exit relay
> operator" weekly column or something, to make it more commonplace
> to admit that you're running an exit relay? As an additional bird to
> kill, putting a human face on exit relays

I'm extremely interested in ways to encourage more open conversations
about exits, "normalize" the whole process a bit, and, as you say,
"[put] a human face on exit relays."  I think this is really important.

It's amazing, and very frustrating, how much FUD, mystique, and just
outright wrong information about Tor in general and exits specifically
circulates among many Com Sci/engineering students (and even some
professors).

Nik