[tor-relays-universities] Tor on Campus

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sat Sep 20 20:33:58 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 11:41:24PM -0500, Nik wrote:
> (A) A list of currently active exits at universities, filterable by
> country at least (laws/regulations are different).
>
> It would be really great to have some sections here for each university
> listing like: the exit policy (or policies), the way they get around
> problems like journal subscriptions, how they handle abuse complaints,
> how long the exit has been running, etc.

Check out https://compass.torproject.org/

Click on 'select only relays suitable for exit position' and then in the
Country box put in United States and Canada. Then ask for 100 results.
Then click submit, and scroll down, and look on the right-most column
(Autonomous System).

You can click on the link in the Fingerprint column to see some of the
details you list above.

Part of the general problem though is that many Tor exit relay operators
don't really want publicity about their choice -- they've gotten enough
buy-in locally to run the relay, but they don't really want CNN to show
up wanting to interview their dean about why she is endorsing Tor.

I wonder if somebody should start doing a "highlight a Tor exit relay
operator" weekly column or something, to make it more commonplace
to admit that you're running an exit relay? As an additional bird to
kill, putting a human face on exit relays might help answer some of the
concerns I get from people (even otherwise smart Tor fans) who say that
the only people who can afford to run stable exit relays are people who
are collaborating with the authorities to undermine Tor.

--Roger