[tor-relays-universities] Tor on Campus

Ian Goldberg iang at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Sep 20 08:57:05 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 11:41:24PM -0500, Nik wrote:
> 3) Precedent - one of the most important issues they've brought up.
> They want to see that an exit node has been run successfully at other
> universities with minimal headaches.  They're most interested in the
> setups that have worked for others, specific exit-policies and
> abuse-response procedures primarily.

Yes, this is definitely useful.

I run an exit node at the University of Waterloo, using the standard
reduced exit policy.  We get about one complaint every 3-6 weeks, almost
always auto-generated with no human at the other end to respond to.

The main sticking point when switching from a middle to an exit node was
in obtaining a non-university IP address, since apparently journal
publishers just whitelist the university's IP block for subscription
purposes, and we wouldn't want people coming out of our exit node to get
access to those subscriptions.  (Worse, no one at the university had a
list of those subscriptions that we could just block with an exit
policy. YMMV.)
--
Ian Goldberg
Associate Professor and University Research Chair