[tor-relays-universities] Tor on Campus

Alex Ryan ialex.ryan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 07:49:58 UTC 2014

Another related way around this issue that I don’t think has been mentioned so far is running middle relays. My university gives us unrestricted internet access and public IP’s in the student residential housing, so last year I experimented with running an exit relay in my dorm room. Despite the fairly restrictive exit policy, it still got blocked from the network after a few months because of abuse complaints received by the university. I talked to the IT people and got it back online, but when the same thing happened again after a few months I decided to switch to running as a middle relay.

Obviously exit relays are in more critical demand than middle relays, but middle relay traffic is completely opaque to network administrators and middle relays should never receive abuse complaints. This makes them an attractive option since they don’t require the approval of any university employees and they pose no credible threat to the university or its network. I’ve successfully convinced a number of my friends to run middle relays in their dorm rooms and none of them have experienced any problems so far.

Finally, getting an middle relay up and running with the official support of the university might be a good way to ease in to the subject and start to demystify Tor. It’s a fairly harmless proposal, and it shouldn’t be hard to convince the IT people to support it. Then, once everyone is comfortable with the middle relay and it’s had no issues for some time, the idea of switching to an exit relay can be proposed.

Cheers!

Alex Ryan
Caltech Class of 2017