[tor-relays-universities] Preventing access to scientific databases

Philipp Winter phw at nymity.ch
Wed Feb 5 13:39:08 UTC 2014

At Karlstad University, we recently got permission to operate an exit relay.
One item on our "to do" list is how we should handle databases such as IEEE
Xplore.  Our university has several subscriptions meaning that our net block is
whitelisted to have access to the databases of different publishers.
Unfortunately, we cannot allow users of our exit node to access these databases
as we would risk violating copyright.

Possible solutions are:
- Blacklist the publisher's net blocks in our relay's exit policy.
- Put our relay's IP address in a non-whitelisted net block.
- Do nothing and risk getting sued?

How is this handled elsewhere?

Cheers,
Philipp