[tor-relays-universities] (FWD) Higher education act

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Mar 12 22:12:12 UTC 2013

Hi Wendy,

I was in a meeting today wherein Tom Ristenpart explained to the
University of Wisconsin network people why he needed to run an exit
relay to support his research.

One of the concerns they raised was whether a Tor exit would endanger
their agreements with the copyright mafia, per the new 2008 law where
universities agree to enforce the copyright mafia's goals in exchange
for federal funding.

Do you know any details here? My guess is it's another case of "they
say you have to have a policy, but they don't say the policy has to do
anything". That said, I noticed the word 'effectively' in it.

I'm cc'ing some existing exit relay operators in case they've encountered
this issue (or if they haven't but I have just worried them ;)

--Roger

----- Forwarded message from Thomas Ristenpart <rist at cs.wisc.edu> -----