[tor-qa] Tor Browser 11.5a2 is ready for testing

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Sun Jan 9 11:56:34 UTC 2022

Hello!

We are happy to announce the first Tor Browser 11.5a2 release candidate
for wider testing. Packages can be found at:

https://people.torproject.org/~gk/builds/11.5a2-build1

Tor Browser 11.5a2 updates Firefox to 91.5.0esr and includes bugfixes
and stability improvements. Additionally, the browser landing page gets
the usual Tor Browser look and feel back, removing the parts of our year
end donation campaign.

We use the opportunity as well to update various other components of Tor
Browser: Tor to 0.4.7.3-alpha, OpenSSL to 1.1.1m, and NoScript to
11.2.14. We switch to the latest Go version (1.17.5), too, for building
our Go-related projects.

As usual, please report any issues you find in this alpha version, so we
can fix them for the next upcoming major stable release (11.5).

The full changelog since Tor Browser 11.5a1 is:

  * Windows + OS X + Linux
    * Update Firefox to 91.5.0esr
    * Update Tor to 0.4.7.3-alpha
    * Update OpenSSL to 1.1.1m
    * Update NoScript to 11.2.14
    * Bug 40405: Rotate deusexmachina IP address [tor-browser-build]
    * Bug 40645: Migrate Moat APIs to Moat.jsm module [tor-browser]
    * Bug 40684: Misc UI bug fixes [tor-browser]
    * Bug 40736: Disable third-party cookies in Private Browsing Mode
[tor-browser]
    * Bug 40756: Fix up wrong observer removals [tor-browser]
    * Bug 40758: Remove YEC takeover from about:tor [torbutton]
    * Translations update
  * Windows
    * Bug 40742: Remove workaround for fixing
--disable-maintenance-service build bustage [tor-browser]
    * Bug 40753: Revert fix for Youtube videos not playing on Windows
[tor-browser]
  * Linux
    * Bug 40387: Fonts of the GUI do not render after update
[tor-browser-build]
    * Bug 40399: Bring back Noto Sans Gurmukhi and Sinhala fonts
[tor-browser-build]
    * Bug 40685: Monospace font in browser chrome [tor-browser]
  * Build System
    * Windows + OS X + Linux
      * Bug 40345: Update Go to 1.17.5 [tor-browser-build]
    * OS X
      * Bug 40390: Remove workaround for macOS OpenSSL build breakage
[tor-browser-build]

Georg