[tor-qa] Tor Browser 8.0a9 is ready for testing

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Mon Jun 25 15:37:01 UTC 2018

I tested torbrowser-install-win64-8.0a9_en-US.exe

Upon the browser opening, the initial screen has an orange 'Tor
Browser' in the address bar with an icon of a firefox next to it.

The onion icon has a flashing triange icon.

The banner about checking out the security slider goes away after
visiting the first page; the icon stays flashing.

When I click the icon and open the Security Settings dialog, the icon
is still flashing.

In the security settings dialog, clicking the labels directly works,
but clicking in the grey space in between or nearby the labels does
not. It would be nice if it did, so i didn't have to be so precise
with my mouse.

After closing the security slider dialog, the icon is still flashing
the exclamation triangle.

I typed in ritter.vg in the address bar, get redirected to
https://ritter.vg but there is not lock icon and the doorhanger off
the (i) says 'This connection is not secure.

The Tor circuit dialog looks great, clicking the new circuit button
worked; however it still says it's not secure. In a new tab, typing in
https://ritter.vg directly works. In another new tab typing ritter.vg
now shows the lock (this is probably due to HSTS info and a
before-navigation upgrade rather than a redirect.)

I typed in tomritterbassljd.onion/ (which redirects to SSL serving an
expired-but-valid-EV-onion certificate) and got an intersitial saying
my connection is not secure. The address bar shows the green
lock+onion icon, but no EV indicator. Adding an exception and
continuing works and the UI stays the same saying it's a secure
connection.

The triangle exclamation is still flashing. I realize at this point
it's probably the erroneous 'update available' message. I think we
should change whatever needs to be changed so that alpha/newer
versions don't report they have an 'update' available.

I go to youtube and watch a video.  I try New Identity.

I notice there is a 'New Window' and a 'New Private Window' menu
buttons in the hamburger that do the same thing.

No crashes, just some UI issues. Super awesome!

-tom