[tor-qa] Tor Browser 8.0a1 is ready for testing

Mark Smith mcs at pearlcrescent.com
Tue Jan 23 03:37:48 UTC 2018

On 1/20/18 4:21 PM, Georg Koppen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Tor Browser 8.0a1 is ready for testing. Bundles can be found on:
>
> https://people.torproject.org/~gk/builds/8.0a1-build3/
>
> Tor Browser 8.0a1 is the first alpha release in the 8.0 series. Apart
> from the usual Firefox security updates we have included the new stable
> Tor, 0.3.2.9, and updated Torbutton and Tor Launcher to the same version
> Tor Browser 7.5 is about to ship.
>
> We added a new MAR signing key following our plan to yearly rotate one
> of our update signing keys and included a patch contributed by ffmancera
> (thanks!) dealing with possible fingerprinting by checking video
> decoding performance: before Tor Browser 8.0a1 users were getting videos
> in a different format depending on the performance of the decoding.
>
> On the build side it is noteworthy that starting with this alpha release
> all bundles are built on some Debian version. If you notice some issues
> on Windows (those bundles were built previously on Ubuntu Precise), let
> us know.

I did some testing of the updater on macOS using my own staging server.
I did not find any problems with 7.5a10 to 8.0a1 incremental or full
updates. I also tested an "in place" update of 8.0a1 to 8.0a1 just to
make sure the new updater is working and that there is no problem with
the MAR signing key.

--
Mark Smith
Pearl Crescent