[tor-qa] Tor Browser 7.5 is ready for testing

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri Jan 19 15:54:00 UTC 2018

Hi all!

Tor Browser 7.5 is ready for testing. Bundles can be found on:

https://people.torproject.org/~gk/builds/7.5-build3/

This is the first stable release in the 7.5 series. Apart from the usual
Firefox security updates it contains some notable improvements compared
to the 7.0 series. Here are the highlights:

1) We ship the first release in Tor's 0.3.2 series, 0.3.2.9.

2) We redesigned parts of the Tor Browser user interface. First, we
improved Tor Launcher allowing users to configure bridges easier and
making the whole bootstrap sequence less confusing and more streamlined.
Second, we enhanced the security slider taking the user experience on
mobile, as shown in Orfox, into account.

3) On the security side we enabled content sandboxing on Windows and
fixed remaining issues on Linux that prevented printing to file from
working properly. Additionally, we improved the compiler hardening on
macOS and fixed holes in the W^X mitigation on Windows.

4) We finally moved away from Gitian/tor-browser-bundle as the base of
our reproducible builds environment. Over the past weeks and months
rbm/tor-browser-build got developed making it much easier to reproduce
Tor Browser builds and to add reproducible builds for new platforms and
architectures. This will allow us to ship 64bit bundles for Windows
(currently in the alpha series available) and bundles for Android at the
same day as the release for the current platforms/architectures is
getting out.

Please give the bundles a try if you can and give us feedback in case
things break. We are especially interested in hearing back from Windows
users about possible issues with the sandboxing part.

The full changelog since Tor Browser 7.0.11 is:

Tor Browser 7.5 -- January 23 2018
 * All Platforms
   * Update Firefox to 52.6.0esr
   * Update Tor to 0.3.2.9
   * Update OpenSSL to 1.0.2n
   * Update Torbutton to 1.9.8.5
     * Bug 21847: Update copy for security slider
     * Bug 21245: Add da translation to Torbutton and keep track of it
     * Bug 24702: Remove Mozilla text from banner
     * Bug 10573: Replace deprecated nsILocalFile with nsIFile (code
clean-up)
     * Translations update
   * Update Tor Launcher to 0.2.14.3
     * Bug 23262: Implement integrated progress bar
     * Bug 23261: implement configuration portion of new Tor Launcher UI
     * Bug 24623: Revise "country that censors Tor" text
     * Bug 24624: tbb-logo.svg may cause network access
     * Bug 23240: Retrieve current bootstrap progress before showing
progress bar
     * Bug 24428: Bootstrap error message sometimes lost
     * Bug 22232: Add README on use of bootstrap status messages
     * Bug 10573: Replace deprecated nsILocalFile with nsIFile (code
clean-up)
     * Translations update
   * Update HTTPS Everywhere to 2018.1.11
   * Update NoScript to 5.1.8.3
   * Bug 23104: CSS line-height reveals the platform Tor Browser is
running on
   * Bug 24398: Plugin-container process exhausts memory
   * Bug 22501: Requests via javascript: violate FPI
   * Bug 24756: Add noisebridge01 obfs4 bridge configuration
 * Windows
   * Bug 16010: Enable content sandboxing on Windows
   * Bug 23230: Fix build error on Windows 64
 * OS X
   * Bug 24566: Avoid white flashes when opening dialogs in Tor Browser
   * Bug 23025: Add some hardening flags to macOS build
 * Linux
   * Bug 23970: Make "Print to File" work with sandboxing enabled
   * Bug 23016: "Print to File" is broken on some non-english Linux systems
   * Bug 10089: Set middlemouse.contentLoadURL to false by default
   * Bug 18101: Suppress upload file dialog proxy bypass (linux part)
 * Android
   * Bug 22084: Spoof network information API
 * Build System
   * All Platforms
     * Switch from gitian/tor-browser-bundle to rbm/tor-browser-build
   * Windows
     * Bug 22563: Update mingw-w64 to fix W^X violations
     * Bug 20929: Bump GCC version to 5.4.0
   * Linux
     * Bug 20929: Bump GCC version to 5.4.0
     * Bug 23892: Include Firefox and Tor debug files in final build
directory
     * Bug 24842: include libasan.so.2 and libubsan.so.0 in debug builds

Georg