[tor-qa] Tor Browser 8.5a6 is ready for testing

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri Dec 7 13:04:00 UTC 2018

Hi!

Tor Browser 8.5a6 is ready for testing. Bundles can be found at:

https://people.torproject.org/~boklm/builds/8.5a6-build1/

This new Tor Browser version picks up Firefox security bug fixes coming
with Firefox 60.4.0esr and upgrades OpenSSL 1.0.2q.

The most exciting news, however, compared to the release earlier this
week comes from progress we made on our mobile builds. Tor Browser 8.5a6
is the first version that is built reproducibly and is localized in all
locales the desktop platforms support.

Moreover, we added an updated donation banner for our year-end donation
campaign.

Known issues: On newer Android versions (Android 7+) downloading a file
is crashing Tor Browser. This is tracked in
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28705 and we plan to
have a fix available in Tor Browser 8.5a7. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The full changelog since 8.5a5 is:

Tor Browser 8.5a6 -- December 11 2018
 * All Platforms
   * Update Firefox to 60.4.0esr
   * Update OpenSSL to 1.0.2q
   * Update Torbutton to 2.1.3
     * Bug 28540: Use new text for 2018 donation banner
     * Bug 27290: Remove WebGL pref for min capability mode
     * Bug 28075: Tone down missing SOCKS credential warning
     * Bug 28747: Remove NoScript (XPCOM) related unused code
     * Translations update
   * Bug 28608: Disable background HTTP response throttling
   * Bug 28695: Set default security.pki.name_matching_mode to enforce (3)
   * Bug 27290: Remove WebGL pref for min capability mode
   * Bug 27919: Backport SSL status API
 * Windows
   * Bug 28740: Adapt Windows navigator.platform value on 64-bit systems
 * Android
   * Bug 26843: Multi-locale support for Tor Browser on Android
 * Build System
   * Android
     * Bug 25164: Add .apk to our sha256sums unsigned build file
     * Bug 28696: Make path to Gradle dependencies reproducible
     * Bug 28697: Use pregenerated keystore and fix timestamp issues

Georg