[tor-qa] Tor Browser 8.5a5 is ready for testing

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Sat Dec 1 23:57:00 UTC 2018

Hi all!

We are pleased to announce that Tor Browser 8.5a5 is ready for testing.
Bundles can be found at:

https://people.torproject.org/~boklm/builds/8.5a5-build2/

We included a new Tor alpha version in the desktop bundles
(0.3.5.5-alpha) to help stabilizing the networking code. Furthermore, we
managed to fix two longstanding first party isolation bugs: Both PDF
range requests[1] and saving links, images or similar using the context
menu[2] are now properly isolated to the URL bar domain.

Most importantly, though, we reached another milestone in our efforts to
bring Tor Browser for Android into stable shape. From now on it is not
necessary anymore to download Orbot in order to use Tor Browser. We
implemented a similar solution to our desktop Tor Browser flavors by
shipping and using Orbot in Tor Browser directly.[3] We plan to refine
our approach for an even smoother user exprience in the future, so stay
tuned.[4][5] Additionally, we included the mobile build into our
official Tor Browser build infrastructure, implying a similar versioning
scheme and same day releases starting with the alpha series. The build
artifacts are not reproducible yet (although we are pretty close
reaching that goal).[6] But fixing that is one of the top priorities for
our next big milestone for the Android app.

Below are all changes listed since Tor Browser 8.5a4 and the previous
alpha release for Android:

Tor Browser 8.5a5 -- December 3 2018
 * All Platforms
   * Update Torbutton to 2.1.2
     * Bug 25013: Integrate Torbutton into tor-browser for Android
     * Bug 27111: Update about:tor desktop version to work on mobile
     * Bug 28093: Update donation banner style to make it fit in small
screens
     * Bug 28543: about:tor has scroll bar between widths 900px and 1000px
     * Bug 28039: Enable dump() if log method is 0
     * Bug 27701: Don't show App Blocker dialog on Android
     * Bug 28187: Change tor circuit icon to torbutton.svg
     * Bug 28515: Use en-US for english Torbutton strings
     * Translations update
   * Update Tor Launcher to 0.2.18
     * Bug 28039: Enable dump() if log method is 0
     * Translations update
   * Update HTTPS Everywhere to 2018.10.31
   * Update NoScript to 10.2.0
   * Bug 22343: Make 'Save Page As' obey first-party isolation
   * Bug 26540: Enabling pdfjs disableRange option prevents pdfs from
 * Windows
   * Update Tor to 0.3.5.5-alpha
   * Bug 28310: Don't build obfs4 with module versioning support
   * Bug 27827: Update Go to 1.11.1
   * Bug 28185: Add smallerRichard to Tor Browser
   * Bug 28657: Remove broken FTE bridge from Tor Browser
 * OS X
   * Update Tor to 0.3.5.5-alpha
   * Bug 28310: Don't build obfs4 with module versioning support
   * Bug 27827: Update Go to 1.11.1
   * Bug 27827: Build snowflake reproducibly
   * Bug 28258: Don't look for webrtc headers under talk/
   * Bug 28185: Add smallerRichard to Tor Browser
 * Linux
   * Update Tor to 0.3.5.5-alpha
   * Bug 28310: Don't build obfs4 with module versioning support
   * Bug 27827: Update Go to 1.11.1
   * Bug 27827: Build snowflake reproducibly
   * Bug 28258: Don't look for webrtc headers under talk/
   * Bug 28185: Add smallerRichard to Tor Browser
   * Bug 28657: Remove broken FTE bridge from Tor Browser
 * Android
   * Bug 28051: Fix up Orbot for inclusion into Tor Browser
   * Bug 26690+25765: Port padlock states for .onion serices to mobile
   * Bug 28507: Delete private data in the browser startup
   * Bug 27111+25013: Configure Tor Browser for mobile to load about:tor
   * Bug 27256: Enable TouchEvents on Android
   * Bug 28640: Use system add-on and distributed preferences
 * Build System
   * Bug 27977: Build Orbot inside tor-browser-build
   * Bug 27443: Update Firefox RBM config and build for Android
   * Bug 27439: Add android target for rust compiler
   * Bug 28469: Fix unsupported libbacktrace in Rust 1.26
   * Bug 28468: Modify Android toolchain to support Orbot
   * Bug 28483: Modify Android Toolchain API Version
   * Bug 28472: Add Android Makefile Rules
   * Bug 28470: Add fetch gradle dependency script to common project
   * Bug 28144: Update projects/tor-browser for Android

Georg

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26540
[2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/22343
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28051