[tor-qa] Tor on Mac

Mark Smith mcs at pearlcrescent.com
Mon Aug 22 17:48:11 UTC 2016

On 8/19/16 5:52 PM, Chris wrote:
> A while ago I edited the torrc file on my Mac to only use exit nodes in
> the USA.
> Since then there were some updates to TOR and there is no torrc file
> anymore. I deleted the TOR browser appp multiple times and reinstalled
> but when I look at the package content of the torbrowser there is no
> torrc file. I also tried looking elsewhere on my mac for the torrc file
> but it is nowhere. I looked in folders that were suggested by posts I
> found online and I looked in other folders.
> Once I checked the log created when I start the TOR browser and there
> was something that said "no torrc found - using defaults".
> I also tried copying a torrc file into the torbrowser package but no
> matter what I do the browser still defaults to USA exit nodes.
> I can't reset this to default because there is no torrc file.
> Please help.

I am not sure if your question belongs on this mailing list, but I will
try to help.

In recent versions of Tor Browser, the torrc file is not created on Mac
OS until it is needed.  After you open Tor Browser, a torrc file will be
created in one of two locations:

~/Library/Application Support/TorBrowser-Data/Tor/torrc
./TorBrowser-Data/Tor/torrc

The ~/Library/... location will be used if you install the Tor Browser
app in /Applications or another directory whose path contains /Applications.

Otherwise, a TorBrowser-Data directory will be created next to the
application (indicated by the ./TorBrowser-Data/... location that I
mentioned above).

Ticket reference: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/13252

--
Mark Smith