[tor-qa] marionette tests - how?

Nicolas Vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Mon Apr 25 18:02:07 UTC 2016

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016, gunes acar wrote:

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> I saw you added Marionette tests to TBB test suite.
>
> I wonder how did you get Marionette to work with ESR38.
>
> I get "Missing marionetteProtocol field in handshake" error when I
> initialize webdriver with marionette capability using either TB 5.5.4 or
> stock ESR38 as firefox_binary [1]. The same code works with Firefox 45.
>
> I see this firefox-ui-tests submodule checked out to a commit in Oct.
> 2015. Is this the secret sauce? And I can't see "wires" mentioned in the
> test suite. Is it installed on the test machines already, or is there a
> way to do without wires?

We are not using marionette via Selenium. On the test machines we have a
python virtualenv with the packages installed as deps from the following
setup.py:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/boklm/tor-browser-bundle-testsuite.git/tree/marionette/setup.py

And we are running the tests using this script:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/boklm/tor-browser-bundle-testsuite.git/tree/marionette/tor_browser_tests/runtests.py

However, this currently doesn't work with versions based on ESR 45, I
think because the marionette version we are using is too old. I am soon
going to update the marionette version we are using (ticket #18887), but
I don't know if it will continue to work with ESR 38 versions after that.
I will try it and let you know.