[tor-qa] Introducing hardened builds for 64bit Linux

anonym anonym at riseup.net
Thu Oct 22 11:23:47 UTC 2015

Georg Koppen:

> 3) the locales we ship/support are included in one bundle allowing to
> choose the locale for Tor Browser on start-up
[...]
> P.S.: One bug I already found is related to the fact that the set of
> locales we include in the nightlies is not the same as Tor Launcher is
> assuming. Thus, 3) only works properly while choosing one of en-US, ar,
> ru, ja and zh-CN (and having the OS locale be one of them, too). This is
> bug 17399.

I noticed a locale-related bug that will be relevant for Tails, but
perhaps not the vanilla Tor Browser.

Background: in Tails we will run the Tor Browser without Tor Launcher,
and with intl.locale.matchOS = true so the locale that the user picked
in our Greeter is used. So we won't have the language selection dialog,
and the user can pick a locale that isn't available in that dialog.

When an unsupported locale is used, about:tor is broken:

    XML Parsing Error: undefined entity Location:
jar:file:///XXX/tor-browser/Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Browser/profile.default/extensions/torbutton@torproject.org.xpi!/chrome/content/aboutTor/aboutTor.xhtml
Line Number 207, Column 3:
      <form action="&aboutTor.searchDCPost.link;" method="post">
    --^

This happens, for instance, with these locales:

    export LANG="fi_FI.UTF-8"
    export LANG="fur_IT.UTF-8"
    export LANG="wx_YZ.UTF-8"

So I'm not sure if this is somehow related to #17399 (or #17344). Should
I report this as a new bug?

Cheers!